+ Reply to Thread

CHROMEBOOK ACCESSING TO A Local area network (Windows and Linux)

Hello!!

Iīve a local area network (LAN) connecting my linux to a TV multimedia player (And a Windows too, but I donīt use it much).

I would like to connect my brand new Chromebook to this LAN and reproduce all the media stored in my Linux...

Well, I found two problems,
    1. How to connect it
    2. what if I connect my Chromebook to this network, how would I reproduce it?
    Thanks

What do you mean by "reproduce it." Any media that can be served up via a web page can be seen by the Chromebook over the network. Whether it can be played back depends on the file type. Another poster listed the filetypes it can play here: http://www.chromeosforums.net/forum/chrome-os-faqs-howtos/632-browser-supported-file-types-media-player-slideshow-unavailable.html

R
    egarding connecting to your LAN, Chromebooks come with WiFi built in. I have the Samsung Series 5 and no wired Ethernet adapter came with it and Samsung does not offer one as an accessory as far as I know. There may be some USB->Ethernet adapters that work but I haven't heard of them. Network access from a Chromebook appears to be intended to be via WiFi.

Super Moderator
    Your best option would be to set up some sort of media server which plays files over a web interface (remember, Chromebooks are for accessing the web - native file support is not their meat and potatoes). Other than that, there really is no way to access other computers' media through the Chromebook. (Assuming you mean you want to allow the Chromebook to access shared files on one computer, as you would in a Windows/Mac/Linux network...)
    No, no... that's ignorant!

I just got my CHromebook. I have a CISCO USB300M USB to Ethernet Adapter. Turned OFF WIFI and the 3G, plugged in the USB300M, and the Cromebook added an Ethernet option to the NETWORK Menu. Access via Ethernet works geat, and is quite a bit faster than Wireless.

I haent tried using a File Manager to access my other computers yet, but since they are all NTSF there may be an issue.

George
    New to Chromebook, but learning fast.

George

Hi heulenwolf!

Of course itīs only wifi or 3g! No need of an ethernet adapter, that is crazy.

I mean accessing with my CB to a linux folder and play/reproduce any .avi, .mp3 or a .jpg stored in those folders, of course, with a web app.

Salut!

Linux HTTP Media Server

Using the title as my Google search string, I came across this article: Using Your Linux Computer As A Media Server (Part 2). It pointed me at Jinzora, which may be what you're looking for: Web Based - Jinzora :: Free Your Media!. I can't speak for Jinzora, myself, as my home server is Windows-based and can't run it. But, it sounds like it does the right thing for CB compatibility: It serves up a wide variety of audio and video formats for streaming via a web-based interface. Its just the first one I stumbled across. You may want to keep searching for additional options.

Since you have to install a web-server with PHP before Jinzora will work, it sounds like setup can be time consuming. Anything compatible with CB will have that web server requirement, though, so I'm guessing almost all possible solutions will be time consuming. I guess that's the trade-off with getting a super simple client machine: You have to put that much more time into the server-side to get it to do interesting things.

If you're not familiar with web administration, I'd recommend against exposing your server to the internet until you become familiar. Just run it inside your home network behind your router without mapping any ports to it or putting it on the DMZ.

Quote Originally Posted by heulenwolf View Post
    I can't speak for Jinzora, myself, as my home server is Windows-based and can't run it.
    Maybe I was wrong about this statement. The page says that all that is required is a web server with PHP installed. So, it should run on Windows, too. Maybe I'll give it a try on my Windows Home Server since the built-in web server is outdated and stinks.

After all that, I kept searching for something better since development on Jinzora appears to have ceased in 2009. I found http://www.subsonic.org which has pile of nice features and looks far easier to install (at least it does on windows). They even have an online demo so you can see how it works on your Chromebook (for music, anyway).

I'm giving subsonic a try. Install was a breeze on Windows. Its not bad. Its certainly better than the built-in web server that came with my Mediasmart server, though it doesn't do pictures. Its the only way I'm able to watch today's Apple event video on my Chromebook since Apple's site requires the Quicktime plug-in. I've pointed subsonic at their podcast page and its downloading the latest episode. It mentions something about this video playback feature only being available for a limited time without a donation, though. I'm not sure if that means all video playback or just podcasts.
    screenshot-20111004-222229.jpg
    Last edited by heulenwolf; 10-04-2011 at 09:29 PM. Reason: added screenshot

Emit App

I use emit app for this. Works on my Android phone, tablet and through their online web interface.

https://www.emitapp.com

Good luck and hope this helps someone else

Ads