+ Reply to Thread

Wifi tethering using Android

Can't seem to get Wireless tethering to work. I'm using the chrome notebook to connect to my Android phone's wifi signal. It's not the phone, works fine on windows pc. I'm figuring it's because the network type that my android is transmitting is not supported yet on chrome OS.

Wondering if anyone else has had any luck with wireless tethering. I ran through that 100mb of 3g from verizon in a few hours. Surprisingly, wired tethering is working for now, just don't like plugging my phone into the notebook while out and about.

Thanks,
    Richard

that's pretty cool that the wired tethering works, as far as wireless tethering, are you using any security key or is it just unlocked? you may need to switch around your security settings for connecting...

Is your phone rooted?

As I type this I'm tethered to my EVO. I'm using the Sprint Hotspot app....haven't tried Wireless Tether.
    Rooted HTC EVO 4G
    Google Cr-48 Notebook

Worked for me on a rooted Vibrant using the Mobile AP mod from XDA.

The issue is that most true wifi access points (including true hotspot apps) use infrastructure mode for the network. The Wireless Tethering for root users on Android sets up an adhoc network (due to certain chipsets in Android phones not supporting being used as infrastructure access points). Adhoc networks are not universally compatible, some devices can connect to them, and some cannot. Windows is able to connect to adhoc, however, it would seem that as of now, Chrome OS cannot.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave12308 View Post
    The issue is that most true wifi access points (including true hotspot apps) use infrastructure mode for the network. The Wireless Tethering for root users on Android sets up an adhoc network (due to certain chipsets in Android phones not supporting being used as infrastructure access points). Adhoc networks are not universally compatible, some devices can connect to them, and some cannot. Windows is able to connect to adhoc, however, it would seem that as of now, Chrome OS cannot.
    Ubuntu also can.
    **Please search before asking questions***
    Why wait for CR48..? Try Chrome OS Now.

Thanks for the replies. I'm running the wireless tether app from the market on a rooted Eris with no security key. THanks Dave, I think you hit the nail on the head, I'm going to search around at XDA to see if there's a work around. If not, wired tether will work for now.

I'm pretty sure I've seen somewhere on Droid Forum - Covering all Verizon Droid Phones: Motorola Droid, Droid X, Droid 2, Droid Incredible and Droid Eris that there is a way to gain access to the built in Wireless hotspot app from Verizon on both the Droid X/2, without having to pay for it. But it does require a fairly challenging amount of steps to gain access to it. I'll see if I can find it and post it here. I don't know if you have that phone, but I would imagine the process is similar for other carriers/phones as long as they're android.

EDIT: I was about to make an entire new topic about it until I remembered to search first, turns out the topic of discussing hacking the stock 3G verizon mobile hotspot is off limits. Nevermind.
    Last edited by markml0528; 12-15-2010 at 10:54 PM.

Ads