+ Reply to Thread

No Skype on chromebook? What else is a notebook for?

I'm surprised there are not already more threads on this forum about this.

I broke my macbook ( an actual computer) when I was drunk, lament.

I bought a chromebook as a stop gap till I can get my macbook ( an actual computer ) fixed.

Now I didn't expect to run any heavy duty productivity tools on the chromebook, I mean it's just a notebook for browsing and skype etc, right?
    Oh no wait skype doesn't work and there is no work around to get it working.

'Go get googles messenger' says google. Except no one's ever heard of the googles messenger so that's completely pointless.

I understand that there is always politics involved between large computing companies but did google really not anticipate that people may want to use their notebook for webcam chats?
    Why even put a webcam on their notebooks if you can't use it? It's certainly not for taking nice photo's.

I understand that skype are working with microsoft for a workaround, but would it not have been advantageous for google to have checked this out beforehand to make sure there was a point to it's product? Maybe contact skype or something?
    I'm now thinking for all the use of the chromebook and it's totally limited features I just should have got an ipad or iphone, at least I would have been able to use it.

Check out chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/imo-messenger/ocaebkdojpikfmhmnekiflipcicedobi?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon

Quote Originally Posted by CSC slave View Post
    Check out chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/imo-messenger/ocaebkdojpikfmhmnekiflipcicedobi?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon

Thanks for the advice, but IMO does not work for video calls at all. I already tried it, so it's largely pointless getting IMO. The video interface crashes when it attempts to video call and the same goes for using yahoo messenger with IMO. I've searched the net and it seems that everyone has this problem with IMO and skype and yahoo messenger. So it seems there is no reliable way to do video calling on the chromebook yet, which sucks because that was 50% of what I bought the chromebook for. The other 50 % was to browse internet and thankfully the chromebook does that one job quite well.

IMO does work fine with the latest version skyped a friend in Aus today ...... What model book do you have ....... And the main vid chat program is google hangouts which is simple to use and trumps all others with its vid conferencing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tektonic View Post
    IMO does work fine with the latest version skyped a friend in Aus today ...... What model book do you have ....... And the main vid chat program is google hangouts which is simple to use and trumps all others with its vid conferencing.
    The model I have is the C7 Chromebook and like everyone else I've chatted with about this problem, the flash part where video is being shown crashes repeatedly every single time. Do you have an older chromebook model? It would be interesting to know if there are any optimisation steps I can take to speed up the computer. If the C7
    The problem also with google hangouts is that I've never met another person on line or in real life that's ever heard of it. As far as I can see, the world uses skype and to a lesser extent yahoo messenger. So even if google hangouts is superior, it's still no good to people who's friends all use skype and yahoo.
    Last edited by danphobic; 01-12-2013 at 09:30 AM.

There being no Skype really handicaps this otherwise great value machine. I have tried using (forcing others to use) google hangout...but they
    always forget and keep asking me why I am never on skype. I cannot believe that this issue is not being addressed or fixed already.

Have you tried a search on Chrome web store ?
    comes up with this
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/s...hrome-ntp-icon

could you link a skype account to a outlook email address, and skype directly from outlook.com?

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA1...osoft-accounts

Ads