+ Reply to Thread

Chromebook vs iPad vs Android tablet

Hi,

I'm currently the owner of a MacBook Pro, which I love. I primarily use it for internet access and for running the Aperture photo editing/organising application.

However, most of my photo editing is done at home, so when I carry the Mac to other places it's unnecessarily heavy. To that end I've been thinking of getting some sort of tablet, either an iPad or an Android tablet. However, it occurs to me that I could also go for a Chromebook, albeit slightly larger and heavier than a tablet. The fast startup time is attractive, as is the concept of buying into a system that will improve without needing new hardware purchases. On the other hand, tablets (especially the iPad) are attractive because many of the photography magazines I buy are producing tablet versions, which would mean less physical clutter in my house! I don't know whether there is any prospect of Chrome-based magazine apps...?

I realise this is probably not a neutral forum to be asking the question, but have any other readers made decisions between tablets and Chromebook? Are you happy with your decision?

Dave

I've owned 5 tablets (3 Android, 1 Touchpad, 1 Playbook) and I now own the Chromebook. The chromebook excels in browsing the internet, as it should. Theres nothing wrong with browsing on a tablet and having an onscreen keyboard isn't necessarily a disadvantage but I found I would stray away from long posts. The Chromebook is a full-size keyboard and it feels great. On flash-heavy sites, it tends to bog down a bit (same goes for the tablets really). If you really feel that browsing is the only thing you'd be doing on this device then there is no reason not to go with the Chromebook. 8.5 hour battery life is very, very attractive.

But, a tablet is a completely different option. I tend to 'play around' more on a tablet. There are always new games or apps to try, settings and appearances to change. But the app-ecosystem kicks ass (on Android/iOS).

I will say this, the fast boot-up time is incredible. I'm browsing in under 10 seconds every time. Even when I change locations while it's off, it finds the new networks as soon as I log-on.

If you've got any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Just got the Chromebook Sept 26th 2012. I passed on the 1st Chromebook but wished i got it. Passed on the 2nd Chromebook till this month. I wanted something that could instant turn on and use as a 2nd laptop. Getting tired of Updating laptop buying anti virus slowing down and cleaning up disk ect. So far i really like it A LOT. I have the Kindle Fire and the Kindle Fire HD, Just gave away my Acer A100 Tablet. I like the Kindle Fire HD its very portable and has all the Amazon content I like. The Chromebook is awesome its very fast in comparison to the other tables I have used and No waiting to turn on and off. Only complaint I would have is I want more speed and power processing and ram but I know that will come in time. Longer battery not that it doesn't have good battery. I can see this device could become my only laptop to use in the near future. Price could be lower but still not a problem. So far this is my 2nd laptop to be used when my laptop is on the blink. In the future I would like to use this as a 1st laptop and buy another Chromebook as a 2nd laptop.
    Last edited by HarveyClinger; 09-28-2012 at 11:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyClinger View Post
    Just got the Chromebook Sept 26th 2012. I passed on the 1st Chromebook but wished i got it. Passed on the 2nd Chromebook till this month. I wanted something that could instant turn on and use as a 2nd laptop. Getting tired of Updating laptop buying anti virus slowing down and cleaning up disk ect. So far i really like it A LOT. I have the Kindle Fire and the Kindle Fire HD, Just gave away my Acer A100 Tablet. I like the Kindle Fire HD its very portable and has all the Amazon content I like. The Chromebook is awesome its very fast in comparison to the other tables I have used and No waiting to turn on and off. Only complaint I would have is I want more speed and power processing and ram but I know that will come in time. Longer battery not that it doesn't have good battery. I can see this device could become my only laptop to use in the near future. Price could be lower but still not a problem. So far this is my 2nd laptop to be used when my laptop is on the blink. In the future I would like to use this as a 1st laptop and buy another Chromebook as a 2nd laptop.
    Welcome to the site. Hope you continue to like your new Chromebook.

If you have an Apple product already I would go for the Chromebook or the Ipad just beacuse of compatibility.

I am enjoying the chromebook. When i got it it was on the chrome 21 and soon it was on the 22 updating not long after. I got the 23 Dev 2 weeks ago and it just updated the 23 dev again today 10/17/12 the fast booting and shutdown is very quick. Battery life is decent. It even plays my cityville game pretty good. I use my droid 4 as a hotspot for the chromebook and even keep my droid charged on the chromebook while the droid is being used as a hotspot and the chromebook battery holds up well. Looking forward what the next chromebook could be.

I have an iPad too in my household, my girlfriend uses that daily but I cannot get enthuastic with it.

I will probably go for a 229 new Chromebook in a few weeks when I return to the United Kingdom. I have been watching the product development since the first models were available - compared to my Lenovo S205 11.5" ultraportable laptop the earlier models were to expensive and too limiting. The initail lack of VPN was a deal breaker; and given the potential uses of a Chromebook I was amazed the simple feature was not there from the start. All that has now changed, and I look forward to using a small utterly silent laptop with no spinning parts.

I have a Nexus 7 Tablet, but the tablet format is not for me. I find a small laptop much more convenient for sofa-surfing.

(First post)

I am going to buy Samsung chromebook for its 8.5 hours of battery assistance and buttonless touchpad.

I've had all three, the Ipad frustrated me trying to type on, it wins only in educational content available via ItunesU, The android tablets where a bit buggy, again, hard to type on, I did jailbreak them, made them a little more usable, but more unstable. My Arm Chromebook is faster, easier to type on, and nearly as light as the tablets. If you're going to write or code, its the book, if your going to stare at movies and media only then tablets. My wife loves her Ipad, shes non tech updates fb, reads and sends email, and occasionally frustrated at the forever encountered incompatibility with many websites as I was with mine, sold my and bought this book...LOVE IT!

Ads