+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CSC slave

Thread: Instruction Booklet

Instruction Booklet

Man talk about a bare bones booklet. They could have at least explained a little about left click right click.

Super Moderator
    One finger click - left click
    Two finger click - right click

I don't think they included much in the instruction booklet because the first time you start up a Chromebook (OOBE) an "Introduction" page comes up explaining the features of ChromeOS.
    No, no... that's ignorant!

Ya. I think the idea is the Chromebook is a very simple appliance, and all of the content, including instructions and help, is delivered directly to the appliance rather than accompanying paper docs. That said, when I opened up my new Chromebook yesterday, I got the tutorial about clicking, and that was pretty much the whole extent of the instructions. I was expecting to see more, like an introductory video, some explanation of the specific features of my hardware, an intro to the Web Store, etc. When I shopped for this thing, I saw previews of users doing video-conferencing, hooking up their digital cameras and editing photos, downloading movies, etc. I got absolutely no explanation of how to accomplish such things on my new Chromebook; I'm simply left to fend/find for myself.

So, I thought before I finalized this post, I'd rummage through the paper docs that came with my Chromebook: most of it's boiler-plate risk-management stuff, a green statement, warranty/return policy, etc. There is a 1-page insert that says, "Plug in the power. Open the lid. And you're set." There's more verbiage on that page, and a function-key chart, but it doesn't reveal any further useful info. There's also a quick start guide that mostly tells you how to plug it in and turn it on. On the last page of the guide, it says, "Get started with your Chrome system." It shows a "Get Started" screen shot that has links to things like "Living in the Cloud," "Browsing," "Chrome Web Store," and "Printing." However, I never saw that screen when I powered up my Chromebook, and I don't know how to bring it up. It says, "For more information on how to use Chrome, refer to Settings > Help." There is no wording "Settings > Help", but I clicked on the Wrench Icon and went to Help under that menu. Finally I found some "Getting Started" topics listed there.

In conclusion, the printed docs are only useful for recharging and on/off functions. I'm wondering if my initial startup/welcome procedure got interrupted somehow when I launched my Chromebook for the first time. If you want more "instructions" click on the Wrench, then "Help" or press Ctrl+/. Still, I'm getting a general sense that, in terms of both instructions and apps, support for Chromebooks is limited.
    Last edited by CodeCavalier; 07-01-2011 at 01:10 PM.

The people who put these out are level 17 Geeks and they think everybody is.
    ics likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by res6jya6 View Post
    One finger click - left clickTwo finger click - right clickI don't think they included much in the instruction booklet because the first time you start up a Chromebook (OOBE) an "Introduction" page comes up explaining the features of ChromeOS.
    that would be fine if you could get that far. I am used to Dell tap to click, but on this sucker a tap won't do it.

Super Moderator
    The touchpad supports tap-to-click...

Click the wrench in the upper right corner...
    Click on "Settings"
    Click on "System" on the left hand side...
    Put a checkmark in "Enable tap-to-click"
    No, no... that's ignorant!

Quote Originally Posted by res6jya6 View Post
    One finger click - left click
    Two finger click - right click

I don't think they included much in the instruction booklet because the first time you start up a Chromebook (OOBE) an "Introduction" page comes up explaining the features of ChromeOS.
    Correction. Once you are connected it may do. The first thing it does is try to connect. If that fails, then the missing manual issue is very real.
    Samsung seem to think error messages are unnecessary.

I have just got this machine, in order to give it to my sister so she can use something that I was told was simplicity itself... well, I don't think so! I use computers most of the day, and can find out most things about their operation myself... but this Chromebook has me beat. It took me a day to discover what little arrows I had to tick in order to "add a contact" in my Gmail. Surely there is somewhere one can look to ask these questions and get an answer, or is this forum the only hope? I have to say, so far I am not impressed, I think my sister will get on better with a tablet and I may send this back. Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't and where I can find answers to the simplest of questions?

Ads